1 lb. 6 oz. red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 lb. 6 oz. green cabbage, thinly sliced
½ cup lime juice
½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsps. sugar
Salt, to taste
Pepper to taste
3 cups orange sections, chopped
3 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
3 ½ cups guava paste
24 farm raised catfish fillets
½ cup olive oil
2 Tbsps. salt
2 Tbsps. ground black pepper
3 cups prepared Jamaican Jerk sauce
¼ cup olive oil
24 slices ripe tomato (1 inch thick slices)
½ cup each parsley and thyme minced for garnishDIRECTIONS:1. Make Citrus Slaw: In a large container equipped with a lid, toss cabbages with lime juice and oil; mix well to coat. Add sugar, salt and pepper; mix well. Cover and chill at least two hours. Reserve orange sections covered in the refrigerator until service time.
2. Make Guava Sauce: In a saucepan combine coconut milk and guava paste and heat, whisking often until smooth and heated through. Remove, cool and cover and hold at room temperature until ready to use. (If preparing a day ahead, refrigerate, then bring to room temperature before service.
3. For Fish: Cut each fillet into 3 portions. Lay catfish pieces on a greased sheet pan in an even layer. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Brush each fillet with 2 tsps. of the jerk sauce. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.
5. To Cook: Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat 1 tsp. of oil per portion over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Add three catfish pieces and cook until very dark on the bottom. Transfer fish, uncovered, to the preheated oven and finish cooking for 6-8 minutes or until completely cooked. Reserve warm.
6. To Serve: Toss citrus slaw with reserved orange sections. Ladle ¼ cup of guava sauce in the center of the plate. Place one tomato slice in the center of the pool of sauce. Balance 3 pieces of prepared catfish, blackened side up, on tomato. Mound ½ cup of slaw on top of catfish. If desired, drizzle plate with avocado sauce and sprinkle with fresh herbs.SERVINGS:24 servingsFrom:Recipe from the Catfish InstitutePHOTO CREDIT:Photo Credit: CATFISH INSTITUTE