Yield: 24 servings
- Thaw salmon fillets under refrigeration at CP 40°F or below.
- Unwrap fillets and place in a single layer in a stainless-steel hotel pan.
- Layer fillets with 1 cup kosher salt per pan.
- Pour 2 cups liquid smoke over fillets. Cover with double plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate salmon at CP 40°F or below for 1 hour.
- Turn fillets over and repeat step five.
- Remove salmon from brine and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove the salt.
- Cook smoked salmon fillets until they reach CCP 145°F for 15 seconds. Salmon can be baked, grilled, or steamed. (The drier the cooking method, the stronger the smoky flavor.)
- Use salmon immediately or chill to CP 40°F within 2 hours.
- Wrap cooled smoked salmon and freeze at CP 0°F or hold at CP 40°F or below for 48 hours.
Recipe from Chef Sonja Kehr, Bowling Green State University.