YIELD: 24 cookies
3 1 /2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, skin removed, finely chopped
4 1 /8 cups flour, all purpose
1 /2 tsp. salt
2 1 /3 cups butter, softened
1 1 /8 cups sugar
1 1 /8 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
1 1 /4 cups semi-sweet chocolate
- Place hazelnuts into food processor. Process until finely chopped; set aside. Sift flour and salt together; set aside.
- Cream butter, sugars and instant coffee together. Stir in flour mixture and hazelnuts until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten dough to1 /4 to 1 /2 in. with bottom of glass. (f glass sticks to dough, dip bottom in sugar before flattening dough.)
- Bake at 325°F for 16 to 18 minutes until golden. Cool 2 minutes and remove from pan.
- Place chocolate in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on high 30 to 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted. Drizzle over cooled cookies; set until firm. Makes about 5 3 /4 dozen, 1-oz. cookies.
Recipe from the Hazelnut Council.