YIElD: 12 Servings
1 ⁄2 cup heavy cream
2 cups Gorgonzola cheese,softened
black pepper,ground,as needed
roasted tomato and garlic confit:
1 cup chopped garlic
salt and ground black pepper
Pepato cheese crisps:
12 slices Pepato cheese
24 slices brioche
36 thin slices pancetta,roasted
between 2 sheet pans until crisp
3 cups arugula
6 oz.micro greens
3 ⁄4 cup pine nuts,toasted
48 teardrop tomatoes
2 Tbsp.black pepper,cracked
1 ⁄4 cup basil oil
3 ⁄4 cup reduced fig-balsamic vinegar
1. For Gorgonzola mousse: Whip cream to soft peaks. Reserve. In a bowl, whip Gorgonzola until smooth and soft. Fold in whipped cream. Season to taste. Cover and chill until ready to use as directed.
2. For Roasted tomato and garlic confit: Roast prepared tomatoes with chopped garlic, fresh thyme, olive oil and salt and ground black pepper until almost dry. Cool. Cover and chill. Drain before using.
3. For Pepato Cheese Crisps: Heat a 6" nonstick skillet and fry cheese slices, one at a time, on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and cool on parchmentlined tray. Store uncovered until ready to use. (If crisps become soggy, reheat in skillet or oven.)
4. For sandwiches: Spread an even layer of 1 Tbsp. Gorgonzola mousse on 12 slices brioche. Top each slice with 3 slices crisp pancetta, 1⁄3 cup tomato confit, 1⁄4 cup arugula and top with remaining pieces of brioche. Remove crusts from bread, if desired.
5. To serve: Cut sandwich in half and plate with 1⁄2 cup micro greens salad, a 1 oz. ramekin of extra mousse topped with a Pepato crisp, 4 teardrop tomatoes, a sprinkling of 1 tablespoon pine nuts, a sprinkling of black pepper,
1 teaspoon basil oil and 1 tablespoon reduced fig-balsamic vinegar.
Recipe and photo by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board