YIELD: 100 pieces
2 cups onions, thinly sliced
9 jalapeño peppers,
deveined and minced
7 lbs. chicken meat, cooked and shredded
3 Tbsps. chile powder
2 tsp. cumin powder
1 cup golden raisins
1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
100 corn tortillas (6-in.)
vegetable oil as needed for frying
For the guacamole with raisin dip:
4 lbs. ripe avocado meat
1 cup onion, finely minced
1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsps. sugar
1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white pepper
3 cups golden raisins
- In a hot skillet, sauté the onion until translucent. Add jalapeños, chicken, chile powder, cumin and raisins. Cook until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
- To soften tortillas, wrap a stack of 10 to 15 at a time in aluminum foil and heat for 10 to 15 minutes in a 325ºF oven.
- With a slotted spoon, place 1⁄4 cup of chicken-raisin mixture in center of each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas tightly and place a toothpick through each.
- Fry filled tortillas in deep fryer (approximately 350ºF) until flautas are golden brown and hold together. Drain on paper towels. Remove toothpicks, cut in half, and serve with guacamole and raisin dip.
- To make the guacamole and raisin dip: Mash avocado with a large fork or potato ricer. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Save a few raisins to sprinkle on top before serving.
Recipe from California Raisin Marketing Board.