A healthful breakfast is the best way to jump-start the body—and the mind. And a breakfast that includes dietary fiber may help to control weight because foods that contain fiber make you feel full quickly (so you may eat less) and help you to feel full longer (so it's less likely you'll reach for non-nutritive snacks).
Adding fiber to a morning menu is quick and easy with these mix-in's:
Top cereal—hot and cold—with:
- Mixed berries, flaxseeds and walnuts.
- Dried fruit bits, toasted and chopped pecans and banana slices.
- Pear and apple slices, toasted almonds and brown sugar.
Fold into egg dishes:
- Diced avocado, red onion, black beans and fresh cilantro.
- Diced tomato, capers, red bell pepper and feta cheese.
- Zucchini shreds, diced tomato and grated Parmesan cheese.
Layer low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt with:
- Sunflower seeds, dried berries and raisins.
- Fruit salsa, almond slivers, and carob chips.
- Apples, walnuts and a honey or pure maple syrup drizzle.