From: Chefs Gayle Pirie and John Clark, Foreign Cinema, San Francisco.
Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 ruby grapefruits
- 1 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallot
- 3 Tbsp. creme fraiche
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- to taste, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large endives (about 11⁄2 lb.), leaves separated
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1⁄2” dice
- 1 lb. smoked trout fillets, skinned and flaked into 1” pieces
Using a knife, carefully peel the grapefruits; be sure to remove all the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the grapefruit sections to a plate. Squeeze any extra grapefruit juice from the membranes into a bowl and stir in the vinegar and shallot, then whisk in the creme fraiche and oil. Season the grapefruit vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Arrange the endives on a large platter. top with the grapefruit sections, diced avocado and smoked trout and serve, passing the vinaigrette at the table.