YIELD: 5 servings
2 butternut squash, medium
1 tsp. ground cumin, divided
3 oz. fresh garlic, chopped fine, divided
1 1/4 tsps. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper,divided
1/2 cup onion, chopped
6 oz. fresh white mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsps. butter
1 cup orange juice
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped fine
- Peel and seed squash Rub with 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1 oz. garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Place in a 350° oven and roast until soft.
- In a stock pot, sautè onion, mushrooms and remaining garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add orange juice and vegetabvle stock to pot; bring to a boil.
- Scoop cooked squash from skin and add to pot.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, mustard, cayenne and remaining salt and pepper; simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve: Just before serving, add cilantro and adjust seasonings to taste.
Recipe from Joseph Knauss, Executive chef, MBNA Bank, Boca Raton, FL., FLIK International Corp.