YIELD: 12 servings
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup diced fennel
1/2 cup diced onions
2 cups crimson lentil (any lentil may be substituted)
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 pound piece of pancetta
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 cup sun dried tomatoes, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 bunch fresh oregano chopped, for garnish
- Heat virgin olive oil in medium to large stockpot; add garlic, celery, fennel and onions. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook garlic, celery, fennel and onions until lightly browned. Add lentils, chicken stock and large piece of pancetta to pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup comes to a boil add carrots and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove pancetta and dice into small pieces. (You may brown the pancetta after if so desired.)
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Consistency may also be adjusted by adding more chicken stock or water.
- Garnish soup with fresh chopped oregano and diced pancetta.
Recipe from Chef Frederic Przyborowski, Roof Terrace Restaurant & Bar, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC, Restaurant Associates