Yield: 2 Servings
2 Cornish game hens, thawed
2 Tbsps. olive oil
2 gold kiwifruit, peeled and diced
1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
1⁄4 cup I talian parsley leaves
1 Tbsp. thyme, fresh
1 Tbsp. rosemary, fresh
1 1⁄2 tsps. salt, divided
3⁄4 tsp. black pepper, divided
Kiwifruit and vanilla bean sabayon sauce:
2 green kiwifruit, peeled, cut in half
1 vanilla bean, split
1⁄4 cup sweet white wine
2 egg yolks
1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
1⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- For the hens: Brush hens with olive oil and place in medium bowl.
- Combine kiwifruit, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, rosemary, 1 tsp. salt, and 1⁄2 tsp. pepper in a blender. Blend for 10 to 15 seconds until just combined. Pour marinade over hens, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. turn hens once after 12 hours.
- To cook hens: Preheat oven 350°F. Remove hens from marinade. Place hens in foil lined baking pan and season with remaining salt and pepper. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until internal temperature reading registers 180°F.
- Cut hens in half, removing backbone; set aside.
- For the sauce: Preheat oven 350°F. Wrap kiwifruit and vanilla bean in foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove kiwi and vanilla bean from foil. scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Place kiwi and vanilla seeds in blender and puree until blended; set aside.
- In double boiler over simmering heat, add wine and egg yolks. Whisk vigorously for 3 to 5 minutes until thick and pale yellow; set aside. Mix sabayon sauce and kiwifruit mixture in a small bowl. stir in parsley, cream and cheeses. spoon sauce over hens. serve immediately.
Recipe and photo from Zespri Kiwifruit.