Yield: 1 gallon
11/4 cups unsalted butter
4 green onions, chopped
5 lbs. peas, fresh or frozen
3 qts. vegetable stock
1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
3 qts. milk, 2% or whole
3 cups whipping cream
1 tsp. sugar
to taste salt and pepper
as needed fresh mint sprigs, for garnish (optional)
as needed crème fraiche, for garnish (optional)
- in large pot, melt butter; add the green onions and sauté until softened, but not brown.
- stir in the peas, vegetable stock and chopped fresh mint. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes if peas are fresh; if frozen, simmer 15 minutes. remove from heat.
- remove about 1 cup of the peas and set aside for garnish.
- add milk and cream; puree until smooth.
- season soup with sugar, salt and pepper; refrigerate until chilled.
- Per serving, garnish with a few reserved peas, sprig of mint and dollop of crème fraiche.
Recipe from Petra Norton, Retail Dining Chef, Purdue Memorial Union, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.