YIELD: 4 servings
Olive oil spray, as needed
1 cup fresh onions, chopped
1 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp.dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. Tyson 1/2" diced white fryer meat, fully cooked, unbreaded
3 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
2 cups yellow hominy, canned, rinsed, drained
3/4 cup picante sauce, mild, commercially prepared
1 cup fresh red bell peppers, chopped
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
2 Tbsps. cold water
1/2 cup black olives, sliced, canned, drained
1/4 cup picante sauce, mild, commercially prepared
4 fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Spray saucepan or stockpot with oil.
- Add onions, garlic, cumin and oregano to oil and sautè over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken meat, broth, hominy, and 3/4 cup picante sauce to onion mixture and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until flavors are concentrated, stirring frequently.
- Add fresh bell peppers to chicken mixture and mix thoroughly. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp.
- In a small bowl combine flour and water and mix until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Simmer for 2 to 5 minutes or until soup thickens.
- Add black olives to soup and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat. Keep warm above 140°F.
- To assemble a single serving: Ladle 12/3 cups soup into a bowl. Garnish with 1 Tbsp. picante sauce and 1 cilantro sprig.
Recipe from Charles Carter, San Juan Regional Medical Ctr., Farmington, N.M., Photo by Tyson.