12 lbs. flank steak
2 cups beef broth
8 each ripe tomatoes
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
5 each whole cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp.cumin seeds, crushed
1 Tbsp.peppercorns, crushed
3 each garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups onions, finely diced
2 Tbsps. dried oregano
5 each dried Cascavel peppers
5 each dried Ancho peppers
5 each dried Guajillo peppers
- Seed the peppers and toast. Soak peppers in hot water for 25 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients for the rub together to make a paste. Rub flank steak with half of the mixture and refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate remaining half of rub mixture separately.
- Place flank steak in pan and add beef broth. Cover with plastic wrap and foil and cook at 325°F for 3 hours, or until tender.
- Reserve cooking liquor for sauce.
- Boil tomatoes until soft. Drain and blend with reserved rub mixture and cooking liquor. Season as needed with salt.
- Chop flank steak, mix with sauce and serve.
Recipe from Chef de Cuisine Gabriel Gomez, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA.