YIELD: 24 servings
6 sheets phyllo dough
4 oz. clarified butter
1 lb. duck breast meat without skin
8 oz. acorn squash, peeled and diced
1 each onion, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. honey
2 tsps. orange zest
1 tsp. five-spice powder
to taste salt and pepper
- Season duck breasts with fivespice powder and salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 425°F until browned on the outside, but still rare on the inside (about 125°F internal temperature). Remove duck from oven; chill to below 40°F.
- Place peeled, diced squash and onions on baking pan; drizzle with about 1 Tbsp. of melted butter, and roast at 425°F until squash is lightly browned and barely tender.
- Remove vegetables from oven and fold in ginger, orange zest and honey; chill to below 40°F.When duck and vegetables are chilled, fold together and adjust seasonings with five-spice powder, salt and pepper.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough on worktable and brush with clarified butter.Top with a second sheet of phyllo, brush with butter, and top with a third sheet of phyllo. Cut stack of phyllo dough into 12 equal squares (3-in. x 4-in.). Place about 1 oz. of duck filling into center of each square. Pull corners of each square up and over filling and squeeze corners together to form a purse.
- When 12 purses are formed, place them on a baking pan and refrigerate until needed. Repeat process with remaining 3 sheets of dough and duck filling, forming 12 more purses.
- Cook purses at 375°F about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and heated through.