The product description on this page is more than a year old and may or may not still be available as described here. Interested FM readers should contact the product manufacturer directly or contact local foodservice distributors to check on its regional availability.
Yield: 12 servings
3 lbs. ground turkey
1/3 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
9 oz. sweet onion, minced
3 large eggs
3 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
3 Tbsps. balsamic vinegar
2 cups Panko or coarse style bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced thin
3 medium zucchini, sliced thin on the bias
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsps. fresh basil, chiffonade
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup prepared heavy-duty mayonnaise
1 1/2 lbs. Muenster cheese, sliced thin
12 leaves leaf lettuce, washed, dried and chilled
24 thin slices red ripe tomato
12 ea. Kaiser rolls
- For burgers: Gently and thoroughly combine ground turkey, basil, onion, eggs, Parmesan, vinegar, bread crumbs, salt and black pepper. Form into 5-ounce patties. Cover and reserve in refrigerator.
- For vegetables: Toss sliced vegetables in a mixing bowl with oil and salt and pepper. Place sliced vegetables on char-grill. Cook on both sides until tender. Reserve.
- For mayonnaise: Combine basil, vinegar and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- To grill turkey burgers: Place turkey patties on char-grill, turning once until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove to an ovenproof dish.
- To assemble: Place grilled eggplant and zucchini on top of turkey burgers.
- Top each burger with 2-ounces of Muenster cheese. Melt in preheated broiler.
- Toast Kaiser buns on char-grill. Remove to plates and assemble burgers with lettuce and tomato slices. Serve with basil mayonnaise on the side.
Recipe provided by Production Chef Barry Greenberg, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. Photo from the National Turkey Federation.