YIELD: 36 servings
Basil oil: yield 1 1/4 cups
4 oz. fresh basil leaves
Water, as needed
Salt, to taste 2
cups olive oil
6 lbs. eggplant, cut into 3/4" cubes
4 1/2 lbs. green bell peppers, cut into 3/4" cubes
4 1/2 lbs. onions, cut into 3/4" cubes
9 lbs. tomatoes, cored, quarters, seeded
3/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsps. salt, divided
1 Tbsp. black pepper, divided
1 bag Basic American Foods Nature's Own Premium Mashed Potatoes
1 gal. hot or boiling water
1 1/4 cups basil oil
- FOR THE BASIL OIL: Blanch basil leaves in salted, boiling water 20 seconds. Drain; refresh under cold water. Lightly pat dry. Place basil in food processor. Purèe basil while pouring olive oil through the feed tube, blending until smooth. Store refrigerated up to one week.
- FOR THE VEGETABLES: Preheat convection oven to 400°F (425°F standard oven). Place vegetables, except tomatoes, in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle with olive oil; stir to coat lightly. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and 1/2 Tbsp. pepper; stir to distribute seasonings. Add tomato quarters to pan, cutside up.
- Roast vegetables in oven until tender, about 20 minutes, stirring once. Remove tomatoes, chop, then return to roasting pan. Stir in 3/4 cup of basil oil. Season to taste. Hold warm for service.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions. Add 1/2 cup basil oil; stir or whisk to desired consistency. Hold warm for service.
- FOR EACH SERVING: Scoop 1/2 cup potatoes onto one side of plate. Ladle 1 cup vegetables along the other side, overlapping potatoes slightly. Drizzle potatoes with 1/2 tsp. basil oil. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe and photo from Basic American Foods