Yield: 12 Servings
5 cups dried bread cubes
3 whole green onions, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
4 cups red bell pepper, diced
12 large eggs
1 ½ cups milk
¼ cup light soy sauce
1 tsp. chili paste
½ tsp. five-spice powder
1 can marinated bamboo shoots
- Line spray-coated 10x12x2-inch steamtable pan with bread cubes.
- Saute green onions, ginger and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in red pepper and saute additional 2 to 3 minutes; let mixture cool slightly.
- Mix eggs, milk and soy sauce. Stir in chili paste, five-spice powder and bamboo shoots. Fold in sauteed vegetables.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes; cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bake, covered for 45 mintues. Uncover and continue baking 15 to 20 minutes until puffy, golden and firm in the center and internal temperature has reached a minimum of 160°F.
- Cut pan 3x4; serve immediately.
Recipe and photo by the American Egg Board