(Cuban coconut rice pudding)
YIELD: 24 servings
9 1/2 cups water
3 cups short-grain rice (such as Arborio)
12 whole cloves
3 2-inch pieces vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 2-inch cinnamon sticks
5 1/4 cups fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
3 Tbsps. crystallized ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon
- Place water and rice in a large saucepan.
- Place cloves, vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges together and tie securely.Add to rice mixture.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; continue to stir frequently and cook until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed, 20-40 minutes, depending on rice variety.
- Stir in milks and raisins and cook 10 minutes more, stirring frequently. Stir in ginger, zest and salt and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Remove spice sachet.
- Pour rice mixture into a large bowl or 24 individual bowls; cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill. Sprinkle each individual serving with cinnamon.
Recipe submitted my Jim Bressi, executive chef, Chartwells (Compass)