YIELD: 80 CROQUETTES
1 (29.3 oz.) pouch premium dry mashed potatoes
2¾ qts. boiling water
2⅔ cups grated Parmesan, divided
4 tsps. kosher salt
2 tsps. freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. pepper-jack cheese, cut into ½” cubes
2 cups all-purpose flour
8 whole eggs, beaten
½ cup water
2 cups plain dry breadcrumbs
Oil for deep-frying, as needed
1. Place dry mashed potatoes in bowl. Add boiling water; stir 10 seconds to distribute. Let stand 5 to 7 minutes; stir until smooth. (Potatoes will be stiff.)
2. Add 12 oz. Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to potatoes. Stir until thoroughly blended. Cover potato dough; refrigerate until cold.
3. Shape dough into 1½" balls, about 1½ oz. each. Push 1 pepper-jack cheese cube into the center of each ball. Reserve.
4. Place flour in a bowl. In a separate bowl, blend beaten egg and water to form egg wash. Combine breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese in a shallow pan. Coat potato balls in flour, shaking off excess. Roll each croquette into egg wash; dredge in crumb mixture to coat evenly. Set aside.
5. Deep-fry croquettes in 360°-370°F oil for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain well; serve warm.
Recipe: Patti Dollarhide, director of nutrition services, and Matt Kline, sous chef, Via Christi Regional Medical Center, Wichita, Kan. Photo: Basic American Foods